Tuesday 24 July 2012

Horizontal listing

So the weathers great, the sky is blue and we're sitting out in lovely warm sunshine.
I'm testing out the new garden chairs and find myself horizontal before long.
In this position I can't help notice the sky traffic. In an hour this evening I've clocked up the following from my sky watch.
57 Aeroplanes, 2 Helicopters, 8 screaming Swifts, 147 Black Head Gulls, 64 Woodpigeons (all going in different directions) 3 Rooks, 8 Crows, 4 Jackdaws, 1 LBB Gull, 3 Herring Gulls, 3 Starling, 1 Collard Dove, 1 Magpie 1 Red Admiral, a Small White butterfly and a large unidentified dragon fly, Oh and zero clouds!

All this had me thinking .....where are they coming from and where are they going?
All the planes seem to be coming from Stansted, heading in southerly directions although some seem to bank east as they get over the house and others take a south western route. Only one plane came in from the south west in the hour or so I watched all others appeared to be leaving this glorious island of ours.
As for the birds well only the Gulls give any clue as they are all heading south west in the direction of the large reservoirs at Chingford/Walthamstow.
Now before posting this random blog about nothing I've checked the birding grape vine and noticed a White Rumped Sandpiper at Cley and a Temminck's Stint reported there too...will they wait for me?  (If only I didn't have to work to pay the bills)

PS...make that 3 Helicopters and 65 Woodpigeons!

No comments:

Post a Comment