Tuesday 1 January 2013

Here we go again....2013 starts with a trip to Norfolk

Well 2012 has left the room and 2013 is now upon us.

Sacred Ibis at Cley
I have wrestled with my plans for the year, should I do a year list?
Should I find a local patch to walk? or should I just chase life ticks this coming year.
Well the urge to list got the better of me this morning and I headed up to Norfolk to tick 94 on day one of 2013. Water Pipit, Brambling, Hen Harrier, Lesser Canada Goose and Red Crested Pochard amongst them. The first bird of the year was the same as last year when a Barn Owl was seen on the way up the A11. We stopped of at Wolferton but no Golden Pheasant showed so we moved on to Titchwell.
A short stop at Brancaster and Stiffkey before moving on to Cley where we caught up with the Sacred Ibis again and then rounding off the day at Buckenham Marsh where we watched the massive Rook roost. So having kicked off the year with a list I now feel the need to see it through and will be doing a year list but I'd also like to stay local on occasion so plan to spend some time walking the Roding Valley as my "PATCH" 

Roding Valley


I'm told the patch has 90 species recorded to date so I will be challenging 90 plus ticks there this year. Along with this I will be supporting my brother Jim on his local patch at Lea Valley and trying to find him a new bird for the site too.

Jim's Patch
The patch Jim works is from Holyfield lake down to Cornmill Meadow and he's been working it for a few years now and knows it like the back of his hand so I'll enjoy taking time to walk the patch more with him with a view to seeing the birds he knows he'll find and trying with him to find that new bird....I know he'd be more than happy with a Nuthatch in 2013.
Along with working these two local areas I'll get out and about and I'd like to think I can find at least ten Lifers in 2013.

So no year list target (Last famous words and one that doesn't sit well with my compulsive nature...I'm sure I'll be trying to beat the 279 from last year).....but I do want c10 lifers from the year and I would like to find 90 plus birds in the Roding Valley.

Anyway enough for now...I'm looking forward to 2013 and all it's trips, ticks and hopefully not too many dips.
Here's to a great year birding where ever you go and how ever you decide to list etc....May the force be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment