Tuesday 18 June 2013

The reeds of Rainham

Rainham marsh is my nearest RSPB reserve being just a ten minute drive away but I don't visit anywhere near enough so today I made the trip and walked the reserve.

The reedbed was alive with birds including Reed, Sedge and Cetti's warbler plus a few Reed Bunting.
Every channel of water held a breeding pair of Little Grebe some on eggs whilst others already had chicks. Cuckoo called and Green Woodpecker raised the alarm when a cat patrolled the footpath. Marsh Frogs called from every ditch and a couple of Voles rushed across as I approached target pool. Lapwing and Redshank appeared to be the only waders present although I was looking more at passerines today.

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler
Reed Warbler take off
Reed Warbler
Little Grebe
Sedge Warbler
Sedge Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment