Monday 21 December 2015

Hoopoe at Hinksford Staffordshire

With the winter solstice upon us I decided to brighten a dull day with a trip to Staffordshire for the wintering Hoopoe. I called the Jim's but shopping commitments prevented them joining me on this mornings trip. The 134 miles were covered without drama in around 2 hours ten minutes. I pulled up at the gates in Enville Road and walked to the top of the hill stopping to scan the fields at regular intervals. I'd climbed the hill and walked around without site so headed off back down the hill still scanning the ground and fence line for any movement. Just when I was beginning to think it would be mission impossible I noticed a small brown "blob" a few feet away in the grass and as I lifted my bins I knew it was the target. The bird sat less than ten feet from me and didn't move for a couple of minutes before deciding I wasn't a threat it started to feed happily for over an hour sitting briefly on the fence before dropping back to the ground to continue feeding. The crest only came up once whilst the bird was preening but I missed the shot. I did manage to get a couple of other guys on the bird but as the weather got worse the bird took flight to find cover from the wind and rain.
I was amazed at the tiny size of the Hoopoe having only seen them through long range scope views before having this one only a few feet away made it easier to scale. The bird was no bigger than a Starling.

Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Year list now 274

Good news from tomorrow the days get longer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment