Saturday 17 June 2017

Thursley Common

I finally gave in today and drove down to Thursley Common in Surrey to spend some time with the returning Cuckoo that's taken a liking to having his diet supplemented by the locals. The merits of feeding it I'll leave for others to debate but although I took no food with me there was a supply of caterpillar.

I arrived early but it took me about 90 minutes to find the field that the Cuckoo uses to feed despite following the calls of another bird for about a mile in the wrong direction.
I enjoyed Stonechat, Redstart, Woodlark, Wood Warbler, Hobby and Buzzard to name a few before finally arriving at the correct field to find the Cuckoo sitting perched up in front of the five photographers already enjoying it.

I managed a few quick shots before it flew off and despite waiting three hours the bird didn't return.
So in five hours on site I had about five minutes of the Cuckoo but enough to fire off a few rounds.
Lizards and a single Adder were also seen whilst waiting for the bird and a Redstart  kept us entertained at close quarters.

I popped into Frensham Common but failed to find the Red-foot through a complete lack of effort if I'm honest.

Cuckoo at Thursley Common
Cuckoo
Redstart
Redstart
Stonechat

No comments:

Post a Comment